Cracking the Encryption Confusion: Encryption Decision Tree
Choosing the Best Encryption Option
There is no way to fully cover all the myriad factors in picking a specific encryption option in a (relatively) short paper like this, so we compiled a visual decision tree to at least get you into the right bucket.
Here are a few notes on the decision tree.
- This isn’t exhaustive but should get you looking at the right set of technologies.
- In all cases you will want secure external key management.
- In general, for discreet data you want to encrypt as high in the stack as possible. When you don’t need as much separation of duties, encrypting lower may be easier and more cost effective.
- For both database and cloud encryption, in a few cases we recommend you encrypt in the application instead.
- When we list multiple options the order of preference is top to bottom.
- As you use this tree keep the Three Laws in mind, since they help guide the security value of your decision.
Read More Here: Link